Pink eyed peas form a great base for Chef Harrell’s smoked lamb shoulder. Try to get to your local farmer’s market early if you’re shopping for pink-eyed peas. Most farmers don’t have tons of them to shell and sell. The early bird gets the peas.
Pink Eyed Peas
This recipe was provided by Chef Harrell and adapted from his dishes at the Delta Supper Club. This recipe has not been tested for the home cook.
Write a review
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 quart fresh pink-eyed peas
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat. Once bacon fat begins to render, add onion and garlic. Cook until they begin to brown.
- Add peas, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cover the peas with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once peas have come to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until peas are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Chefs to Watch http://www.chefstowatch.com/