Flash-Cured Yellowfin Tuna Rolls
Flash-Cured Yellowfin Tuna Rolls from 2014 Chef to Watch Jeremy Conner.
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 pound yellowfin tuna
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 ounces unsalted goat cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Garnish: alfalfa sprouts
- In a medium bowl, combine kosher salt, black pepper, fennel seeds, sugars, and zests. Rub mixture onto tuna, and refrigerate 2 hours uncovered. Rinse tuna under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate tuna 2 hours more, uncovered.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add shallot, and let stand 2 hours.
- In the container of a blender, combine red pepper and garlic; process until puréed. While blender is running, slowly add remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Slice tuna into 10 pieces. To each slice add goat cheese, shallot, and arugula, and roll tuna around fillings. Place roasted red pepper coulis on each plate, and top with a tuna roll. Garnish with sprouts, if desired.
- Serve chilled.
- Consuming raw or undercooked seafood may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.
- By Jeremy Conner of Village Cafe
Chefs to Watch http://www.chefstowatch.com/